What we believe in and what we do
Speak Out has been an independent advocacy charity in Brighton and Hove since 1994. We make sure that people with learning disabilities can speak up and take action about the things that matter to them.
Our vision is a world where people with learning disabilities have the same rights, choice and control over their lives as everyone else.
We will make sure that people with learning disabilities in Brighton and Hove have support they need to speak up and address problems they are facing.
We will support people to make links in their community in order to develop networks, skills, confidence and reduce isolation and have richer lives.
We will use our local knowledge and networks to provide community based projects that will respond flexibly to the changing needs of local pwld.
Our advocacy and community services help local people with LD who are facing a wide range of social health and other issues to change their lives for the better and achieve the following outcomes:
- Have their voices heard
- Challenge discrimination and access their rights
- Make their own choices and have control in their life
- Access the support and services they need
- Increase their skills and confidence
- Take an active part in and contribute to community life
- Reduce isolation and improve wellbeing
- Our work is led by listening and responding to the views of pwld
- We work in ways which empower and enable pwld to lead richer live
- We are independent of the services pwld use
- We are free to people who use our advocacy services
- We are accessible and work with broad range of pwld in flexible and creative ways
- We are embedded in the local community and work effectively with volunteers
- We are committed to continually learning and developing our practice
- We work in partnership with other organisations to improve the lives of pwld