What we believe in and what we do
Speak Out has been an independent advocacy charity in Brighton and Hove since 1994. We make sure that people with learning disabilities can speak up and take action about the things that matter to them.
Our vision is a fairer world for people with learning disabilities where they are listened to; and have the same rights, choice and control over their lives as everyone else.
Our mission is to work alongside people with learning disabilities to make sure they get their voices heard, can address problems they face, and live fulfilling lives.
We deliver advocacy with impact, through which people with learning disabilities develop the networks, skills and confidence to:
- Challenge discrimination and access their rights
- Make their own choices and have control in their lives
- Access the support and services they need
- Build community links and take an active part in community life, having the opportunity to make their own contribution
- Reduce isolation and improve their wellbeing
- Raise awareness of issues that matter to them, challenge policy and campaign for change
- Our work is led by listening and responding to the views of people with learning disabilities
- We work in ways which empower and enable people with learning disabilities to lead richer live
- We are independent of the services people with learning disabilities use
- We are free to people who use our advocacy services
- We are accessible and work with broad range of people with learning disabilities in flexible and creative ways
- We are embedded in the local community and work effectively with volunteers
- We are committed to continually learning and developing our practice